Baking soda is one of those items that everyone has in their pantry. It can be utilized as a way to clean stuck on stains through making a paste, it can be used as a shampoo for the hair and it can be used for numerous science experiments. However, baking soda can also be used as a skin exfoliant that is all natural, and much cheaper than the products that are purchased at the store. With a baking soda exfoliant you can remove the oils, makeup and dead skin cells just as easily, with over half the money spent.
How to Exfoliate with Baking Soda
Why Baking Soda Exfoliator Works
Baking soda is alkaline, meaning that it aids in softening the sebum and the debris found on the face for easier removal. This is why exfoliating with baking soda is often thought to be an easier way to remove all the issues with the skin. In addition, the granules are also great for buffing away the dead skin cells. And since baking soda has such high antiseptic properties, it can actually help manage any bacteria on the face that could be causing issues.
What You’ll Need
When use a baking soda exfoliant, you are going to need 1 tablespoon of baking soda, a few drops of water, and you can add in some Vitamin E oil if you want.
1. Wash the face with warm water and a mild soap.
2. In a small bowl add in the baking soda, water and oil drops and mix into the consistency of a paste.
3. Once the paste is not too thick, but not too runny, apply this to face in circular motions.
4. Continue to rub the paste on the face in circular motions, avoiding the eye area but getting everywhere else.
5. You want to rub this mixture into the face for approximately 2 to 3 minutes to ensure that all the issues are being taken care of on the skin.
What to Do Afterwards
Once you have completed using baking soda exfoliant, rinse your skin with warm water to remove the traces of the baking soda. After this is completely gone, splash your face with cool water to ensure that the pores close. You will then want to pat your face dry with a clean towel.
You can follow up this process with your favorite moisturizer to give your skin all the minerals and vitamins that it needs to appear and be healthy.
How Often to Do This
Exfoliating with baking soda can be done two to three times per week. However, those with sensitive skin should only do this every other week to avoid irritation. If at any time you feel burning, see the skin reddening, try less baking soda next time. It is best to do this at night, so that if you do experience redness of the skin, this goes away while sleeping.
Alternatives of Baking Soda Exfoliator
If you do not have time to make your own baking soda exfoliant, then add the baking soda to your normal cleanser, as you will still get the benefits of baking soda for skin offers.
Baking soda and coconut oil can be used together as a way to cleanse the skin, deal with acne, help with scarring and condition the skin. This is a combination of baking soda and coconut that depends on the type of skin you have, however, most people are fine with a 1:1 ratio of each. This can be used as a cleanser or deep cleansing mask. It should only be used no more than 3 times per week, depending on the skin type you have.
Note: Baking soda for skin can also be used over the entire body to help soften the skin and keeping skin smooth. So this can also be used during a shower or bath.
Two Other Recommended DIY Exfoliators
Honey and Oatmeal
A honey and oatmeal face cleanser is a great way to stop breakouts, help to moisturize the skin, reduce inflammation and basically make the skin healthier. The ingredients that are used in making this are proven to benefit the skin in numerous ways.
What You Need:
To start, you are going to need 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 2 tablespoons of honey, 15 drops of lavender essential oils and 15 drops of tea tree oil.
1. Mix the oatmeal a bit to break down the flakes.
2. Mix all the ingredients that you have on hand, ensuring that the consistency is right, you can add more honey if needed to get this oatmeal to stick together.
3. You can store the mixture for up to 2 weeks.
4. You apply this to the face as you would any other cleanser you use.
It can be used every day for most skin types.
Sugar and Lemon
This sugar and lemon facial cleanser is meant to remove impurities, while also helping to tighten pores and make the skin appear brighter.
What You Need:
You will need a half fresh lemon, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of organic honey.
1. Mix the lemon juice from the lemon and the olive oil together.
2. Stir in the honey into the mixture, mixing well.
3. Add in the sugar and continue to mix the mixture until it forms the right consistency for a scrub.
4. Apply this to the face in a circular motion, and leave this on the skin for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove with warm water.
The mixture can be put into a bowl for alter use and stored for around a week.